I admit it. I am exhausted. My alters are exhausted. The living situation hasn’t improved much. And any time I try to sleep early, the upstairs neighbor goes on a rampage with the excuse that I am stealing heat.
- Triggers from having loud noises above my head going off at random times throughout the night
- Stomping and items being dropped from above sound startling to someone sleeping
- The murmur of voices also is triggering as I don’t know what’s being said, but I know something is and it’s probably about me
Strategies I’ve used to combat this:
- Sleep headphones – mildly effective, but very comfortable to wear in spite of the headband being too big
- A bag of crystals under my pillow – soothing but not sure how effective
- A favorite playlist – moderately effective with the correct headset
- Continuous nature sounds – most effective with either kind of headset because the sound is continuous
- my over-ear noise cancelling headphones – very effective but uncomfortable to sleep in
- A new wool blanket – moderately effective as it keeps me warm when I give in and turn the heat in my apartment down to stop the noise
- A new down comforter – very effective as it + wool blanket keeps me warm in spite of chilly temps
- Affirmations to keep my heartbeat steady
So why didn’t I call the police like I planned to if this happened again?
Because I was was exhausted and fell asleep early. When that tired, not much can wake me up. A lot can disturb me and sort of wake me up. But not much can wake me enough to be fully alert. Only the alters who stayed awake were triggered by what happened. And only when they were awake because they were tired too.
And none of us really noticed the noise until early this morning when we were ready to wake up. Yes, we feel bad for the other neighbors who have to listen to the noise, but since no one has tried to knock on our door or talk it out, not much any of us can or will do. In order for upstairs to be happy, I have to turn off my heat and only sleep at certain times.
Plus calling the police is scary. I’ve never done it here, but where I used to live it caused problems.
Call the attorney; pay the fee to get out
Yes, I am contacting an attorney sooner instead of later. But that in itself is also scary and triggering. So, this weekend probably will be the soonest unless the majority decides otherwise.
My alters and I did get some decent sleep. We also cried and laughed and remembered and let go of old stuff. All in all, it was a decent night.
And now that I am awake, upstairs has quieted down. My heat settings have not changed. And I am up early enough to get some other stuff done before starting work.
I apologize for the late post. It couldn’t be helped. After work, I set up the slow cooker and then fell into bed only waking up when nature called.
The exhaustion is from a combination of stuff going on right now. It’s like in earlier posts when I described being awake for so many hours working, living, commuting, until my body gave out and I slept.
Sleep, when one can get it, is one of the best and most healing coping strategies available. For anyone who is struggling with anxiety, depression or just plain old stress, I recommend finding ways to get more rest and sleep.
Thanks for reading my complaints and rambling today.